Skip to main content

Man of Steel ~ Neither Great Nor Terrible

Last night, a fantastic friend of mine dropped by my house and gave me some early viewing tickets to see 'Man of Steel'.  I felt like an absolute posh person walking past all the people in line for the midnight to go to my theatre at 7 p.m. You have to enjoy the little things in life right? Enough about me, on to the review!

'Man of Steel', as I'm sure you know, is yet another Superman origin story. Everyone is pretty well acquainted with the general idea of this story but they want to keep telling it to us! Well, they did an all right job. The plot wasn't bad but I wasn't invested either. The character development, I felt, was REALLY shallow. Because of this I was kinda 'meh' throughout the film.

Visually, it was very explosive. I couldn't even begin to count how many massive fiery explosions there were. Honestly, it reminded me of the 'Trasnformers' movies because there were SO MANY fight scenes that were just swirling CGI fests that went on for a LONG TIME. Let's be honest people, you are never worried about Superman. He's indestructible! So there are all these scenes of him being thrown through various buildings and things, just leveling cities practically, and he just stands up and dusts off his cape. When the main characters biggest threat is the inconvenience of having been tossed away from the fight, it's hard to care.

The story was very simple. I'm not very well versed in the Superman story arc so I could have missed some things with which to be angry or happy. That being said, what I DID notice was a very predictable story with little to no twists.

As for the acting and characters, Russell Crowe was the best! Seriously, the only downside of his character was that he wasn't in the movie enough. I loved every second while he was onscreen. The villain on the other hand had a monologuing problem. It was almost humorous by the end. Clark and Lois were both fine. Lois was a bit of a brat though. I can't remember is she is supposed to be like that or not.


I have a few more little issues: Excess and distracting 'shaky camera' filming, several laughable plot holes, and a couple of cheap-laugh one-liners that were really out of place.

All boiled down it's pretty forgettable. You may have fun watching it at the time but compared to some of the fantastic and clever superhero movies that have been coming out lately, this one doesn't really measure up. If you are really into Superman you might like it more. See you next time everyone!




***WARNING! SPOILERS!*** 



Okay, I have to put this in here. Normally I try to avoid spoilers but I have to know if anyone else noticed this. At the very end of the movie he throws all the villains into a black hole. There is this big swirling black hole above Metropolis and the bad guys go through it. This was so very similar to the ending of the 'Avengers'! Visually, it was practically identical. I could be being nit-picky but seriously? A big black hole finale again?

Comments

  1. Finding Superman to be too gushy for me anyway, I thank you for this warning. I shall pass on this one and count myself up a couple of hours of life to do what I please.

    Merci.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug ~ An Abomination

Hello, everyone! I finally managed to get myself to the theatre to see 'The Desolation of Smaug'! As most of you probably remember,  I pretty much hated the first 'Hobbit' movie.  Well, this one is even worse! Congratulation Peter Jackson, you outdid yourself. Your selfish, egotistical direction style has managed to absolutely destroy the middle section of the beloved Hobbit story. Let's get started on the details shall we? First! I know this has been talked about by everyone, but the High Frame Rate! It's distracting and clunky. I'm my opinion, it make everyone look like they were moving ever so slightly in fast forward. Also, it generally made the film quality look like a made-for-TV movie. I watched the first Hobbit in 2D so this was my first encounter with this laborious beast. They never should have done it. Second, the Hobbit feet. WHY WHY WHY? Why did they make his feet swollen to a comical, ridiculous level? They are meant to be hairy and tough,

Emergency at the Pony Express

It was a hot dusty day at the Pony Express station. There were no packages coming and the riders were getting antsy. Jesse, the youngest rider at age 16, was re-shoeing his pony, and Kale, Jesse’s older brother, was sitting on the porch watching the Texas dust blow. Jesse stood up, patted the pony and said, “Well Sarah, we are ready to go now.” He then walked to the water barrel and drank a large ladleful, liquid rolling down his shirt. Kale looked at the horizon and saw two dark silhouette’s approaching. “Hey Jesse!” Kale hollered, “I think a job’s a- comin’.” Jesse looked around the corner of the station to see the figures growing by the second. He quickly ate a biscuit, then stood on the porch watching as the men arrived. The men were obviously military, both wearing navy blue uniforms, their horses were stark black with manes and tales cut short. “What can we do for you’s today?” Kale asked. “We need you to deliver a package to Baton Rouge, Louisiana,” one of the men said.

The Hobbit ~ Beware!

I saw the first installment of the 'Hobbit' trilogy opening day yesterday. I was greatly saddened. It. Is. Bad. So bad that I wish I hadn't seen it. So bad, that I don't think I will waste my time on any of the future installments. Peter Jackson took a wonderful, complete, enjoyable story and adulterated it nearly beyond recognition. Now, before you think I am just a purist who despises change, I'm not! Yes, I read all the 'Lord of the Rings' books as well as 'The Hobbit' growing up, and I understand that things change when you are translating a story from book to movie. This went beyond that. I have many specific problems. Yes, that is a stream of dried bird poop on his face. First, they added Radagast the brown wizard. Why in the heck of all creation would someone think that was a good idea? Let's add a totally unnecessary character and side plot that only confuses the audience and draws away from the real focus! It was terrible from ev