Skip to main content

Anna Karenina ~ Astounding!

Last night I tore open my Netflix envelope and sat down to watch 'Anna Karenina'. Having read the book, I was expecting to be disappointed, angered, and generally hate every second of the film. I was wrong! This movie was one of the most satisfying 'book to movie' translations I have ever witnessed. Being a person who is nearly never satisfied with Classic Literature in movie form, that's a massive compliment. Let me make some specific points.

I have to start with the cinematography. It was filmed almost like a play. The characters were living out their Russian lives while their surroundings were sets that would swirl and change as they walked from place to place. A lot of the time the characters would be backstage  for a scene or in the audience of the theatre while snooping on what is happening on stage. I expected this to be an over artistic distraction but I really enjoyed it! It made it possible for the story to be abridged to movie length without losing valuable plot.  It was very similar to a Ballet. In the surroundings and actions there was a lot of symbolism that may not make complete sense if you don't know the story.
Yes, that's Michelle Dockery from 'Downton Abbey' on the left

Next we have the acting. The characters were incredibly accurate adaptations from the book! I was stunned how many of the characters were absolutely PERFECT. Matthew MacFadyen and Domhnall Gleeson, as Oblonsky and Levin, were spot on as for looks, behavior, and the interactions between them. In my opinion Jude Law as Karenin was the brightest part of a bright shining film. He was absolutely flawless throughout the entire film. Even Keira Knightly did well and I tend to dislike her in general. All in all, the actors pulled me right into the story and seamlessly performed the story, right before my eyes.

Vronsky on the left, Kitty on the Right.
Third, I will touch on the story. Anna is a married woman who starts a steamy, and very public, affair with the young Count Vronsky. This story is played out while on the other hand you have Levin; The honest noble landowner who is in love with the Princess Kitty. Through these two story lines you are shown a vast range of emotional turmoil and philosophical growth. I am pleased to say that, as far as I can remember, nothing was added to the story and only a few things were cut. Quite the feat if you've ever held the complete volume in your hands.

As you probably know, 'Anna Karenina' won the Oscar for best costumes. It deserved it. The costumes are elaborate, colorful, and stunningly beautiful.

The honorable Levin.
I want to include a quick 'Parental Warning'. I was concerned about the 'R' rating when I watched it so I want to dispel your fears. This is just barely 'R'. All the bedroom scenes are generally lacking gratuitous nudity. There is a lot of smoky crossfading and some 'motion' if you catch my meaning.  Also, there is an extended close up of a French kiss. That being said, it's a lot milder than one might expect with the subject matter. There is also a brief moment of semi-graphic violence. It's just a few seconds on screen. Use your own judgement but know there isn't any shocking in-your-face nudity.

To sum up. I adored this film. It was beautiful, thoughtful, and true to it's source. I felt that by downplaying the sets and surroundings they had the spotlight entirely on the story, where it should be. In my opinion, it's one of the greatest love stories and one of the most pitiful tragedies of all time. I highly, highly recommend you watch it.

Comments

  1. Surprised was I to have enjoyed this movie. The cinematographical technique, at first, annoyed. But, I quickly adapted and found it quite satisfactory. Everything else about the film was astounding!

    Thanks for recommending this, Cassie.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug ~ An Abomination

Hello, everyone! I finally managed to get myself to the theatre to see 'The Desolation of Smaug'! As most of you probably remember,  I pretty much hated the first 'Hobbit' movie.  Well, this one is even worse! Congratulation Peter Jackson, you outdid yourself. Your selfish, egotistical direction style has managed to absolutely destroy the middle section of the beloved Hobbit story. Let's get started on the details shall we? First! I know this has been talked about by everyone, but the High Frame Rate! It's distracting and clunky. I'm my opinion, it make everyone look like they were moving ever so slightly in fast forward. Also, it generally made the film quality look like a made-for-TV movie. I watched the first Hobbit in 2D so this was my first encounter with this laborious beast. They never should have done it. Second, the Hobbit feet. WHY WHY WHY? Why did they make his feet swollen to a comical, ridiculous level? They are meant to be hairy and tough,

Emergency at the Pony Express

It was a hot dusty day at the Pony Express station. There were no packages coming and the riders were getting antsy. Jesse, the youngest rider at age 16, was re-shoeing his pony, and Kale, Jesse’s older brother, was sitting on the porch watching the Texas dust blow. Jesse stood up, patted the pony and said, “Well Sarah, we are ready to go now.” He then walked to the water barrel and drank a large ladleful, liquid rolling down his shirt. Kale looked at the horizon and saw two dark silhouette’s approaching. “Hey Jesse!” Kale hollered, “I think a job’s a- comin’.” Jesse looked around the corner of the station to see the figures growing by the second. He quickly ate a biscuit, then stood on the porch watching as the men arrived. The men were obviously military, both wearing navy blue uniforms, their horses were stark black with manes and tales cut short. “What can we do for you’s today?” Kale asked. “We need you to deliver a package to Baton Rouge, Louisiana,” one of the men said.

The Hobbit ~ Beware!

I saw the first installment of the 'Hobbit' trilogy opening day yesterday. I was greatly saddened. It. Is. Bad. So bad that I wish I hadn't seen it. So bad, that I don't think I will waste my time on any of the future installments. Peter Jackson took a wonderful, complete, enjoyable story and adulterated it nearly beyond recognition. Now, before you think I am just a purist who despises change, I'm not! Yes, I read all the 'Lord of the Rings' books as well as 'The Hobbit' growing up, and I understand that things change when you are translating a story from book to movie. This went beyond that. I have many specific problems. Yes, that is a stream of dried bird poop on his face. First, they added Radagast the brown wizard. Why in the heck of all creation would someone think that was a good idea? Let's add a totally unnecessary character and side plot that only confuses the audience and draws away from the real focus! It was terrible from ev