Skip to main content

Les Misérables



The time has come to review 'Les Misérables'! This movie is expansive and beautiful. It's a true epic. As we all know, this 2012 version is a musical. Everyone has a different opinion of musicals and their  tastes vary greatly on the subject. This musical is the kind where they sing everything. No, I don't mean they burst into song every few moments after a snippet of dialogue. I mean nearly every, single, word is in song. I found this complete musical immersion very enjoyable! That, paired with the fact that the songs were sung live by the actors, (as opposed to in a studio and lip syncing) made every moment heart-wrenchingly emotional. Watching the characters fight back violent sobbing to sing the songs of woe makes the whole thing more real and relatable. While we're on the topic of the music, every song was amazing! I didn't dislike a single one, which is rare for me. Every actor, Russell Crowe included, beautifully sang their songs while the orchestra swept gracefully beside them. If for no other reason than the music this movie is spectacular.
I know he is the"bad Guy" but I
Loved him!




The music isn't the only notable aspect though! The costumes, sets, cinematography, and acting are all impressively displayed from open to close. Each character finds their way right to the middle of your heart right off the bat. The scenery is beautiful and the clothes are top notch. Both of these aspects were made even more impressive by the cinematography! All in all, the technical aspect is all fabulous.






Helena Bonham Carter's costume fascinated me! 


As if the movie needed more reasons to be watched, there is the story itself! I knew very little of the story when I sat down in the theatre. I'm sure that my ignorance heightened the experience for me. I'll admit, I cried periodically all through the movie with a grand sobbing finale at the end, as well as all through the drive home. The story stabs right to the core. I don't want to have any spoilers for anyone who doesn't know the story so I can't say much more than: The story is touching, engrossing, beautiful, sad, and most of all, inspiring! I'll repeat what I said at the beginning, a true epic.

Comments

  1. Bonham Carter's outfit looks like something you'd put together and wear. Maybe you were fascinated because you recognized your style?

    Thanks for another helpful review. Will see this - with you! - and we'll cry our way through.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug ~ An Abomination

Hello, everyone! I finally managed to get myself to the theatre to see 'The Desolation of Smaug'! As most of you probably remember,  I pretty much hated the first 'Hobbit' movie.  Well, this one is even worse! Congratulation Peter Jackson, you outdid yourself. Your selfish, egotistical direction style has managed to absolutely destroy the middle section of the beloved Hobbit story. Let's get started on the details shall we? First! I know this has been talked about by everyone, but the High Frame Rate! It's distracting and clunky. I'm my opinion, it make everyone look like they were moving ever so slightly in fast forward. Also, it generally made the film quality look like a made-for-TV movie. I watched the first Hobbit in 2D so this was my first encounter with this laborious beast. They never should have done it. Second, the Hobbit feet. WHY WHY WHY? Why did they make his feet swollen to a comical, ridiculous level? They are meant to be hairy and tough,

Emergency at the Pony Express

It was a hot dusty day at the Pony Express station. There were no packages coming and the riders were getting antsy. Jesse, the youngest rider at age 16, was re-shoeing his pony, and Kale, Jesse’s older brother, was sitting on the porch watching the Texas dust blow. Jesse stood up, patted the pony and said, “Well Sarah, we are ready to go now.” He then walked to the water barrel and drank a large ladleful, liquid rolling down his shirt. Kale looked at the horizon and saw two dark silhouette’s approaching. “Hey Jesse!” Kale hollered, “I think a job’s a- comin’.” Jesse looked around the corner of the station to see the figures growing by the second. He quickly ate a biscuit, then stood on the porch watching as the men arrived. The men were obviously military, both wearing navy blue uniforms, their horses were stark black with manes and tales cut short. “What can we do for you’s today?” Kale asked. “We need you to deliver a package to Baton Rouge, Louisiana,” one of the men said.

The Hobbit ~ Beware!

I saw the first installment of the 'Hobbit' trilogy opening day yesterday. I was greatly saddened. It. Is. Bad. So bad that I wish I hadn't seen it. So bad, that I don't think I will waste my time on any of the future installments. Peter Jackson took a wonderful, complete, enjoyable story and adulterated it nearly beyond recognition. Now, before you think I am just a purist who despises change, I'm not! Yes, I read all the 'Lord of the Rings' books as well as 'The Hobbit' growing up, and I understand that things change when you are translating a story from book to movie. This went beyond that. I have many specific problems. Yes, that is a stream of dried bird poop on his face. First, they added Radagast the brown wizard. Why in the heck of all creation would someone think that was a good idea? Let's add a totally unnecessary character and side plot that only confuses the audience and draws away from the real focus! It was terrible from ev