Skip to main content

'Day of the Falcon' and 'Quartet'

Happy Sunday, everyone! I have two trailers today! Lately, I have been going over, primarily, well known movies and I want to give fair attention to the understated and more thoughtful films as well. I have a good feeling about both these movies. They are very dissimilar in every way except that they will be thought provoking. So, put your thinking cap on!

I am going to start with 'Day of the Falcon'. As far as I can tell this movie used to be called 'Black Gold' and has already been released in France in 2011. I guess it takes longer then I thought for movies to hop the pond! But no matter. It's coming out this year in the U.S. The movie is set in the 1930's at the beginning of the oil boom in the Middle-East. My first reservation is Antonio Banderas, because he is not a very consistent actor. He is a very wide-swinging pendulum on the quality scale. I'm hoping he is swinging in the good direction for this movie. Besides that, it looks beautiful, dramatic, and engrossing. The 'R' rating for violence makes me think that there will be at least one extensive battle sequence but I doubt that it will be all about the gore. It's interesting that the trailer says, "One chance at peace," while we all know that the warring is still going on over there. Maybe they mean just for these two tribes. I know that I am going to see this, I just hope that the movie lives up to the trailer!




Now it's time for 'Quartet.' This movie also appears to have been released last year in other countries. I suppose these movies have two things in common! 'Quartet' is about four retired Opera singers who all live in the same retirement home for musicians. It appears that they all try to form a group and perform again in their Golden Years. I feel like all I really have to say is Maggie Smith. All the other actors are very good too! Dustin Hoffman is the director, which is both unexpected and intriguing. Also, it's based on a true story. If you have read very much of this blog you will know that I LOVE when movies are based on a true story! Honestly, this movie looks very hopeful and uplifting! Two things everyone could use more of. The storyline sounds very 'drama' when I have it written out but it's in fact a comedy! The writing looks fantastic and the acting looks superb! A lighthearted look at the trials of aging paired with the knowledge that you don't have to stop living just because of the number on your birth certificate. After watching the trailer I practically want to rush out the door, find a theatre, and watch this movie.



UPDATE: I have since seen 'Day of the Falcon' and written a review.

Comments

  1. Thank you for digging up little gems like the two movies spotlighted in your blog post. Of particular interest is 'Quartet' which looks like fun. I wouldn't be surprised if heartbreak finds its way into the plot so will prepare myself accordingly.

    I totally agree with you about Banderas. Love your 'wide-swinging pendulum' metaphor. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug ~ An Abomination

Hello, everyone! I finally managed to get myself to the theatre to see 'The Desolation of Smaug'! As most of you probably remember,  I pretty much hated the first 'Hobbit' movie.  Well, this one is even worse! Congratulation Peter Jackson, you outdid yourself. Your selfish, egotistical direction style has managed to absolutely destroy the middle section of the beloved Hobbit story. Let's get started on the details shall we? First! I know this has been talked about by everyone, but the High Frame Rate! It's distracting and clunky. I'm my opinion, it make everyone look like they were moving ever so slightly in fast forward. Also, it generally made the film quality look like a made-for-TV movie. I watched the first Hobbit in 2D so this was my first encounter with this laborious beast. They never should have done it. Second, the Hobbit feet. WHY WHY WHY? Why did they make his feet swollen to a comical, ridiculous level? They are meant to be hairy and tough,

Emergency at the Pony Express

It was a hot dusty day at the Pony Express station. There were no packages coming and the riders were getting antsy. Jesse, the youngest rider at age 16, was re-shoeing his pony, and Kale, Jesse’s older brother, was sitting on the porch watching the Texas dust blow. Jesse stood up, patted the pony and said, “Well Sarah, we are ready to go now.” He then walked to the water barrel and drank a large ladleful, liquid rolling down his shirt. Kale looked at the horizon and saw two dark silhouette’s approaching. “Hey Jesse!” Kale hollered, “I think a job’s a- comin’.” Jesse looked around the corner of the station to see the figures growing by the second. He quickly ate a biscuit, then stood on the porch watching as the men arrived. The men were obviously military, both wearing navy blue uniforms, their horses were stark black with manes and tales cut short. “What can we do for you’s today?” Kale asked. “We need you to deliver a package to Baton Rouge, Louisiana,” one of the men said.

The Hobbit ~ Beware!

I saw the first installment of the 'Hobbit' trilogy opening day yesterday. I was greatly saddened. It. Is. Bad. So bad that I wish I hadn't seen it. So bad, that I don't think I will waste my time on any of the future installments. Peter Jackson took a wonderful, complete, enjoyable story and adulterated it nearly beyond recognition. Now, before you think I am just a purist who despises change, I'm not! Yes, I read all the 'Lord of the Rings' books as well as 'The Hobbit' growing up, and I understand that things change when you are translating a story from book to movie. This went beyond that. I have many specific problems. Yes, that is a stream of dried bird poop on his face. First, they added Radagast the brown wizard. Why in the heck of all creation would someone think that was a good idea? Let's add a totally unnecessary character and side plot that only confuses the audience and draws away from the real focus! It was terrible from ev