Skip to main content

A Unique Trend

While I busy myself trying to keep my finger on the movie pulse I, naturally, encounter multitudes of trailers. Obviously, I don't post about every trailer I watch, only the ones that strike me as worthwhile. There are a lot of trailer that just barely don't make the cut. Through all my observing I have noticed a stunning trend that I believe is rather unique. There are five Christian movies that have come out/will come out over the period of a year. Obviously, Christian movies come out all the time, they just usually don't make it to the movie theatre. It's really a direct to DVD market. That's what's so strange! All these movies are coming out and they are going to the theatres and some of them even have people you've heard of in them. Let me show you what I mean.


Two of the five I have already posted about in the past. 'Noah' and 'Grace Unplugged'. 'Grace Unplugged' was the first movie in this trend that I noticed. Since I have already expressed my opinions on these two films I won't repeat them again.

Next is 'Heaven Is For Real'.



You may remember when this kid was in the news and things years ago. I know I do. I don't care what you believe, the idea in this movie has to make you ponder. I, honestly, don't really know what I think about the idea of a child going to heaven and back. I'm a naturally an apprehensive person. What I do think is that it's interesting.

The third trailer in the trend is 'God's Not Dead'.



This one interests me more then the Heaven one. I am very keen to see how it goes. I can say, from personal experience, is that it is difficult to deal with extreme negative societal pressures as a Christian. It is comforting to remember that others have had to deal with it too.

Fifth is 'Son Of God'.



The story of Jesus being told on the big screen. I must admit, I always feel rather uncomfortable with the idea of actors portraying Jesus. What if the actor represents Him badly and herds of audiences get the wrong idea? It's a lot of pressure. Putting that aside, I am intrigued. I'm intrigued if for no other reason than the fact that this, and the other four movies, even exist.

 I do want to emphasise one more time that the reason these movies are so special is that they are feature films heading to the theatres. I'm not sure if all these movies coming out around the same time is some massive coincidence or if somewhere a band of Christians decided to try and counteract some of the disgusting rubbish that tarnishes the silver screen. Either way works for me. I'm happy to see them.



Comments

  1. Breath of fresh air. I am eager to see these movies, hopeful that they don't disappoint. Accuracy is everything when making movies about God, the Bible, Jesus. You know. I repeat, breath of fresh air just having them out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it nice? I completly agree!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Saving Mr. Banks ~ Delightful!

Yesterday afternoon, I walked into my local theatre to watch 'Saving Mr. Banks'. I didn't exactly know what to expect because I had heard some clashing reviews on the subject. I did have high hopes which I expressed in my previous post. I left the theatre about as pleased as I can possibly be with a movie watching experience! I absolutely adore this film!

'Saving Mr. Banks', as you probably know, is the story of how Walt Disney and his team managed to create the beloved 'Mary Poppins' film. A major part of this conquest was convincing the author to sign over the rights to the story! Throughout the movie you watch flashbacks to the authors childhood where the real life inspiration of 'Mary Poppins' takes place. Let me tell you, it is an engrossing and totally immersive situation!

Part of what makes this movie so fantastic is the perfect casting. I loved every single character. I'm not even exaggerating. Paul Giamatti was a true delight every mome…

The Hobbit ~ Beware!

I saw the first installment of the 'Hobbit' trilogy opening day yesterday. I was greatly saddened. It. Is. Bad. So bad that I wish I hadn't seen it. So bad, that I don't think I will waste my time on any of the future installments. Peter Jackson took a wonderful, complete, enjoyable story and adulterated it nearly beyond recognition. Now, before you think I am just a purist who despises change, I'm not! Yes, I read all the 'Lord of the Rings' books as well as 'The Hobbit' growing up, and I understand that things change when you are translating a story from book to movie. This went beyond that. I have many specific problems.



First, they added Radagast the brown wizard. Why in the heck of all creation would someone think that was a good idea? Let's add a totally unnecessary character and side plot that only confuses the audience and draws away from the real focus! It was terrible from every angle. His costume was tacky, his actions and presence we…

The Monuments Men ~ A Must See!

About a week ago 'The Monuments Men' hit the theatres. I have been anticipating this film for so long and finally I have seen it! Best of all, it did not disappoint! I first showed you the trailer back in August. This has been a long time coming! Time to get down to business.

'The Monuments Men' is a movie about a small group of art scholars, historians, and the like trying to save as much art from the Nazis as possible. Naturally, this is set in WWII. The cast is star studded and primed for a great performance!

This is a calm mature movie. it isn't going to shock or thrill you with flash and pomp. The story and emotion will suffice perfectly. That and the fact that visually, it's absolutely incredible! The detail as well as the grand images are both exacted with such correct perfection. I was pleased with every, single, second.

It would be rather redundant to go ever the fact that a cast filled with old pros and veterans knocked it out of the park. I do want t…