Skip to main content

The Fifth Estate ~ A Mind Game

'The Fifth Estate' or as I have been calling it 'The Assange Wikileaks' movie. It came out this weekend and curiosity got the best of me. There was no way I wasn't going to see this movie opening day. I feel like there are an incredible amount of angles with which we could look with this film. It's such a complex topic. I am going to look at it piece by piece.

Storyline first. It's what's most important. The plot is very engrossing. I found myself very interested in what was happening. It doesn't start at the founding of the Wikileaks site but in fact just maybe six or eight months before the big massive leak that happened a few years back. I feel like I have to mention that it is a thinking movie. I could see someone getting bored or confused. That being said, I wasn't ever bored or confused. I did however seriously wonder how accurate it was. Not because it struck me as inaccurate (though there were many moments where I suspected slander) but simply because in a story like this, the truth is really, really important. I would have felt better if I knew Assange had signed off on it, but he didn't. That left me wondering why?

I wondered and wondered until I went to Wikileaks to see what Assange had to say. It only seemed fair that after watching the movie I had heard he hated that I should give him a fair chance to fight back. He claims that the script is falsified, inaccurate, and slanderous. (Read Assange's full letter to Cumberbatch here.) I could totally believe that. Especially the bits about his back story and whatnot. That being said, I don't think it's a reason not to see the film. Take it with a grain of salt, understand that the perception is certainly altered and one-sided. I didn't leave the theatre denouncing Wikileaks and hating Assange. I left with questions, and questions lead to answers. Even with inaccuracies, the base story happened. Moving on!

The acting was fine. Nothing overwhelmingly amazing and nothing blatantly terrible. There were a lot of very talented actors and they all did their jobs well. About the accent: I'm not an Aussie, but Cumberbatch seemed to be making a bit of a mess with the Australian accent. It doesn't really effect the movie, it's just there. While we are on the topic of Cumberbatch, let's just say he played his normal part. Brainy, arrogant, sometimes rude, and generally somewhat socially awkward. Physically, he looked the part. I would love to see him stretch himself a little bit.

My big issue with this movie is the rating. It's rated 'R' and I'm quite angry about that. It shouldn't be 'R'. It might be because I just watched a movie about massive cover-ups but I feel like this rating will bury 'The Fifth Estate' away. It is NOT worthy of an 'R' rating. Yes, there may technically be three 'F' words and that is over the PG-13 quota. The rest of it is practically 'G'. There is a bit of violence but it's 'PG-13'. There isn't even really any raunchy scene. I mean, once they kind of start one, but it gets interrupted before they get their clothes off. I would take teenagers to this movie without batting an eye. In fact, I think people SHOULD take kids to this movie. It might open up their minds a little bit.

The last thing to go over is technical things. The cinematography is much more present then you might think with a hacking sort of movie. They use some creative scenes and things to help explain exactly what the main characters are doing on their computers. They had to do something so that most of the film wasn't simply watching people sit in a dark room a type. I can't really explain it without taking a lot of time so I will just say that it's good!

To sum up. I liked it! There were a few bumps in the road but it's worth it! This story is something any thoughtful and curious person will want to see. If you are looking for romance or a fast paced action film this isn't it. Once, you are done with that, see 'The Fifth Estate'. It's important to remember that there is more to this planet than texting and TV. So, have a think on me!

Click here  to see the trailer.

Comments

  1. When I first heard about this movie I was intrigued. Thank you for writing about the controversy and about Assange's letter to Cumberbatch. Very good of you to link to it.

    I plan to see this movie this weekend and will observe it with that grain of salt you suggest. Julian Assange is a hero as far as I'm concerned. I want to see the movie for myself rather than be told about it.

    So, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I'm also a Julian fan and almost picked up this movie last week, but put it off. I agree with what you said about Benedict Cumberbatch......so far he is kind of a one-note actor,
    and if he doesn't broaden a little he could easily fall into self-parody or even worse, become a joke from being too easy to spoof!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug ~ An Abomination

Hello, everyone! I finally managed to get myself to the theatre to see 'The Desolation of Smaug'! As most of you probably remember,  I pretty much hated the first 'Hobbit' movie.  Well, this one is even worse! Congratulation Peter Jackson, you outdid yourself. Your selfish, egotistical direction style has managed to absolutely destroy the middle section of the beloved Hobbit story. Let's get started on the details shall we? First! I know this has been talked about by everyone, but the High Frame Rate! It's distracting and clunky. I'm my opinion, it make everyone look like they were moving ever so slightly in fast forward. Also, it generally made the film quality look like a made-for-TV movie. I watched the first Hobbit in 2D so this was my first encounter with this laborious beast. They never should have done it. Second, the Hobbit feet. WHY WHY WHY? Why did they make his feet swollen to a comical, ridiculous level? They are meant to be hairy and tough,

Emergency at the Pony Express

It was a hot dusty day at the Pony Express station. There were no packages coming and the riders were getting antsy. Jesse, the youngest rider at age 16, was re-shoeing his pony, and Kale, Jesse’s older brother, was sitting on the porch watching the Texas dust blow. Jesse stood up, patted the pony and said, “Well Sarah, we are ready to go now.” He then walked to the water barrel and drank a large ladleful, liquid rolling down his shirt. Kale looked at the horizon and saw two dark silhouette’s approaching. “Hey Jesse!” Kale hollered, “I think a job’s a- comin’.” Jesse looked around the corner of the station to see the figures growing by the second. He quickly ate a biscuit, then stood on the porch watching as the men arrived. The men were obviously military, both wearing navy blue uniforms, their horses were stark black with manes and tales cut short. “What can we do for you’s today?” Kale asked. “We need you to deliver a package to Baton Rouge, Louisiana,” one of the men said.

The Hobbit ~ Beware!

I saw the first installment of the 'Hobbit' trilogy opening day yesterday. I was greatly saddened. It. Is. Bad. So bad that I wish I hadn't seen it. So bad, that I don't think I will waste my time on any of the future installments. Peter Jackson took a wonderful, complete, enjoyable story and adulterated it nearly beyond recognition. Now, before you think I am just a purist who despises change, I'm not! Yes, I read all the 'Lord of the Rings' books as well as 'The Hobbit' growing up, and I understand that things change when you are translating a story from book to movie. This went beyond that. I have many specific problems. Yes, that is a stream of dried bird poop on his face. First, they added Radagast the brown wizard. Why in the heck of all creation would someone think that was a good idea? Let's add a totally unnecessary character and side plot that only confuses the audience and draws away from the real focus! It was terrible from ev