Skip to main content

The Company You Keep

Hello, movie loving people. As you may remember, a little while ago I suggested, 'The Company You Keep'. Yesterday, I popped into the local movie theatre and watched it! I have to say, I wasn't disappointed. It was slightly different then I expected, but not in a bad way. I'll go over the details later.

'The Company You Keep' is about a group of four people who, when they were young, were members of The Weather Underground. Essentially, back in the 70's, they took the protest against the Vietnam war too far and it became violent. This particular group robbed a bank and shot a security guard. These people used their resources and smarts to hide away under fake names, successfully, for 30 years. Now, when they are all grown and with children of their own, Susan Sarandon's character decides to turn herself in. What she didn't expect was that a young zealous journalist, Shia LaBeouf, would find the connection between her and Robert Redford. Robert Redford, is also one of the members of The Weather Underground. Redford's character starts running which triggers a manhunt. There is one last piece if plot, Redford appears to say he is innocent. After this, the story unfolds before your eyes.

This film is very good. It's not fast paced and adrenaline filled. It's steady and calm. I know some might say it's boring simply because there aren't massive explosions and gunfights. I do not believe that! There is an intricate, weaving storyline that keeps you thinking and puzzling to the very end. You come to know each character and are able the anticipate their actions. Not because they are predictable, but because you know them. Honestly, I want to watch it again so I can pick up on any plot details I may have missed the first time around.

The acting is superb! Watching a movie like this reminds you what good acting looks like. As I hoped, Shia knocked it out of the park! Finally, I get to see him using his acting skills! He did a fantastic job beginning to end. Redford's character had a daughter and the interactions between the two of them were heart-melting and sweet. Of course Redford was great on his own as well. It really was great all across the board. Even the small side characters were played by known actors. Stanley Tucci and Sam Elliott both have small yet important parts which were a joy to watch.

Lastly, I cannot forget to talk about cinematography! Oh my GOSH! The angles and lighting were perfect. They must have had hundreds of location scouts to find all of these perfect little nooks and crannies around the country. If you've ever seen a Redford movie, you know what I mean. Truly a pleasure to behold.

To sum up: I recommend this movie. It's not for everyone, but if you are interested in a quiet, thoughtful, suspense drama then this is right for you. I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of it. A thumbs up from me!

Comments

  1. I enjoyed this movie for the same reasons you did, Cassie.

    I also enjoyed seeing Nick Nolte, and Julie Christie. It's been a long time since I've seen them in anything.

    The chemistry between all the characters was believable and well-seamed. Some of them were supposed to be people who were close when they were young, having lived some dramatic events, but then they hadn't seen each other for decades. When they were reunited, the complete familiarity coupled with the natural awkwardness of the situation, well, these actors know they business and it shows! Terrific.

    Shia delivered. His performance added depth, humor, and realness. So good!

    And little Jackie Evancho as Robert's daughter: perfect! Fresh-faced, no over-acting, just a natural little girl being a little girl. No sappiness or coyness. So great.

    Thanks for another insightful review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug ~ An Abomination

Hello, everyone! I finally managed to get myself to the theatre to see 'The Desolation of Smaug'! As most of you probably remember,  I pretty much hated the first 'Hobbit' movie.  Well, this one is even worse! Congratulation Peter Jackson, you outdid yourself. Your selfish, egotistical direction style has managed to absolutely destroy the middle section of the beloved Hobbit story. Let's get started on the details shall we? First! I know this has been talked about by everyone, but the High Frame Rate! It's distracting and clunky. I'm my opinion, it make everyone look like they were moving ever so slightly in fast forward. Also, it generally made the film quality look like a made-for-TV movie. I watched the first Hobbit in 2D so this was my first encounter with this laborious beast. They never should have done it. Second, the Hobbit feet. WHY WHY WHY? Why did they make his feet swollen to a comical, ridiculous level? They are meant to be hairy and tough,

Emergency at the Pony Express

It was a hot dusty day at the Pony Express station. There were no packages coming and the riders were getting antsy. Jesse, the youngest rider at age 16, was re-shoeing his pony, and Kale, Jesse’s older brother, was sitting on the porch watching the Texas dust blow. Jesse stood up, patted the pony and said, “Well Sarah, we are ready to go now.” He then walked to the water barrel and drank a large ladleful, liquid rolling down his shirt. Kale looked at the horizon and saw two dark silhouette’s approaching. “Hey Jesse!” Kale hollered, “I think a job’s a- comin’.” Jesse looked around the corner of the station to see the figures growing by the second. He quickly ate a biscuit, then stood on the porch watching as the men arrived. The men were obviously military, both wearing navy blue uniforms, their horses were stark black with manes and tales cut short. “What can we do for you’s today?” Kale asked. “We need you to deliver a package to Baton Rouge, Louisiana,” one of the men said.

The Hobbit ~ Beware!

I saw the first installment of the 'Hobbit' trilogy opening day yesterday. I was greatly saddened. It. Is. Bad. So bad that I wish I hadn't seen it. So bad, that I don't think I will waste my time on any of the future installments. Peter Jackson took a wonderful, complete, enjoyable story and adulterated it nearly beyond recognition. Now, before you think I am just a purist who despises change, I'm not! Yes, I read all the 'Lord of the Rings' books as well as 'The Hobbit' growing up, and I understand that things change when you are translating a story from book to movie. This went beyond that. I have many specific problems. Yes, that is a stream of dried bird poop on his face. First, they added Radagast the brown wizard. Why in the heck of all creation would someone think that was a good idea? Let's add a totally unnecessary character and side plot that only confuses the audience and draws away from the real focus! It was terrible from ev