Skip to main content

Oz the Great and Powerful ~ Disappointing!

Here I go again! Yesterday I popped down to the local theatre and watched the incredibly advertised 'Oz the Great and Powerful'! Walking in I was hopeful and optimistic, walking out I was underwhelmed and bored. Not a good transformation if you ask me! As is the case with some of these massive, expensive movies, I think they spent more time, effort, and/or money on the CGI than on the script. I will quit with the generalizations and dive into the details.

Let's start with the story. A con-man magician called Oz rides a hot air balloon through a tornado into the magical world of Oz. Once there the people of the land mistake him for their prophesied wizard and send him on a quest to kill the wicked witch. If he kills the witch he will earn the crown of Oz, the massive king's share of the gold, and the loyalty of all the people. Oz decides to go for it, because he is super greedy, and starts out on a long, long, long adventure. Did I say long? Technically, the running time is 2 hours and 10 minutes, which is quite long for a kids' movie. Honestly, it felt more like 3 hours. I suppose the length would have been okay if the story was any good, but it really wasn't. It was quite weak, incredibly predictable, and very childish. I knew it wasn't going to be an adult movie when I was walking in, but I was expecting it to be aimed at early teens, not 8 year olds. Of course, all the children in the theatre age 6-12 were whining about the long, boring movie as well, so they pretty much failed to find a target audience. I found myself wanting to care at first, but eventually you just slump in your chair and hope the climax is good.

Next, I want to talk about the special effects. They were pretty, I can't deny that. They were very in your face and immersive. When Oz first arrived in Oz there is a CGI fest with swarms of butterflies and a white water rafting sequence that was a bit much but after that it calmed down. The cinematographers seemed a touch obsessed with gigantic close ups of James Franco's face. Close ups so large that he was easily half the screen with other business scurrying around the other half. It was distracting. All in all, the graphics can't make up for the other shortcomings in the movie. Too bad.

Her hat was the best costume piece of all!
Next, let's go over the acting and characters. James Franco was Oz, as you probably know. He did somewhere between acceptable and good. Oz spent a lot of time making out, or trying to make out with every female character of the same species as him. So, he was playing himself. Honestly, all the womanizing side stories split the atmosphere of the movie; half was a skippity do da kids movie, and the other was the romantic endeavors of Franco. The three witches were overacted. At the beginning you don't know exactly which witch is the good witch. Throughout the movie, there are several over-emphasised hints at darkness that make you roll your eyes and realize that they just gave away another mystery without any flair whatsoever. Whatcha gonna do?

Next, is costumes and makeup. This was actually pretty good! The costumes were wild and whimsical and the makeup was nicely done. The costumes may have been the highlight of the movie. Well, that was an easy topic!

This sad monkey was the best character in the movie. I liked him.
I do want to mention that I haven't read all the various books that I know both the Oz movies are based on. When it comes to accuracy to the books, I don't know. That being said, if this movie is incredibly accurate (which I highly doubt) and I have insulted your favorite childhood story, I'm sorry, but it's true.

To sum up, 'Oz the Great and Powerfull' is a dud! The best part of the entire movie is at the very beginning when Oz is still in Kansas. It was filmed in black and white, naturally, and was the most charming and relatable time in the movie. I almost wish he had never gone to Oz and had instead lived out his regular life. Pretty much this movie should have been named, 'Oz the Long and Boring'.

Comments

  1. Wow, thanks for the warning! That's five bucks saved. The trailer - displaying massive graphics as it did - made me wonder if what you described in this post might be the case. Yep.

    Thanks for this review. It is MOST helpful.

    And anytime I can avoid monkeys dressed like humans, I am happy. (Though the little bellhop monkey in your photo looks kind of cute.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug ~ An Abomination

Hello, everyone! I finally managed to get myself to the theatre to see 'The Desolation of Smaug'! As most of you probably remember,  I pretty much hated the first 'Hobbit' movie.  Well, this one is even worse! Congratulation Peter Jackson, you outdid yourself. Your selfish, egotistical direction style has managed to absolutely destroy the middle section of the beloved Hobbit story. Let's get started on the details shall we? First! I know this has been talked about by everyone, but the High Frame Rate! It's distracting and clunky. I'm my opinion, it make everyone look like they were moving ever so slightly in fast forward. Also, it generally made the film quality look like a made-for-TV movie. I watched the first Hobbit in 2D so this was my first encounter with this laborious beast. They never should have done it. Second, the Hobbit feet. WHY WHY WHY? Why did they make his feet swollen to a comical, ridiculous level? They are meant to be hairy and tough,

Emergency at the Pony Express

It was a hot dusty day at the Pony Express station. There were no packages coming and the riders were getting antsy. Jesse, the youngest rider at age 16, was re-shoeing his pony, and Kale, Jesse’s older brother, was sitting on the porch watching the Texas dust blow. Jesse stood up, patted the pony and said, “Well Sarah, we are ready to go now.” He then walked to the water barrel and drank a large ladleful, liquid rolling down his shirt. Kale looked at the horizon and saw two dark silhouette’s approaching. “Hey Jesse!” Kale hollered, “I think a job’s a- comin’.” Jesse looked around the corner of the station to see the figures growing by the second. He quickly ate a biscuit, then stood on the porch watching as the men arrived. The men were obviously military, both wearing navy blue uniforms, their horses were stark black with manes and tales cut short. “What can we do for you’s today?” Kale asked. “We need you to deliver a package to Baton Rouge, Louisiana,” one of the men said.

The Hobbit ~ Beware!

I saw the first installment of the 'Hobbit' trilogy opening day yesterday. I was greatly saddened. It. Is. Bad. So bad that I wish I hadn't seen it. So bad, that I don't think I will waste my time on any of the future installments. Peter Jackson took a wonderful, complete, enjoyable story and adulterated it nearly beyond recognition. Now, before you think I am just a purist who despises change, I'm not! Yes, I read all the 'Lord of the Rings' books as well as 'The Hobbit' growing up, and I understand that things change when you are translating a story from book to movie. This went beyond that. I have many specific problems. Yes, that is a stream of dried bird poop on his face. First, they added Radagast the brown wizard. Why in the heck of all creation would someone think that was a good idea? Let's add a totally unnecessary character and side plot that only confuses the audience and draws away from the real focus! It was terrible from ev